Saturday, November 13, 2010

Damaged Goods



I love to shop. There, I said it. The first step is admitting you have a problem. Ugh. That felt good. Now let's get this blog written so I can go shop some more! :)

I've always been a sucker for bargain shopping. I love vintage shopping and clearance shopping. I love the possibilities of finding something fabulous to love forever. I can be found heading straight to the clearance rack to find that one piece of clothing that is missing a button or has a small mark on the bottom, something fixable on an item with flair!  Many people see these things as "damaged goods", but I just see them as an opportunity on something I simply can't give up!

After bearing witness to one of my famous disastrous love interactions, a  love mentor of mine, or a "LOVE-TOR" if you will (and I do hope you will), recently told me that as I got older she hoped I would learn to avoid "damaged goods".

Hmmm...."Damaged goods"..."damaged goods"...I haven't been able to stop thinking about this. When I sat down to reflect on this concept, it dawned on me, at the end of the day..........

 ...aren't we ALL damaged goods?


I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few buttons up in my mind-grapes, why shouldn't everyone else have the opportunity to have a few loose too?

I guess the level of damage is important to think about though. For instance, I would never buy a sassy polka-dot shirt with a rip in the armpit because that is a damage to the shirt that is pretty much beyond my abilities of restoration, but a missing button on the front? Shoot, I can do a little cross-stitch button action to get that baby up and running again. The same can be said for a man. We've all had a heartbreak or two, we can sew a button on that! No problem! But if the last relationship he was in left him homeless and wandering the street searching for the love of a passing stranger, I'm pretty sure I don't have a sewing machine that can deal with that rip.

We're all searching for a deal, but when it comes to matters of a mate perhaps one should stay out of the clearance bin and simply buy off the rack at a Vintage store. True, we're all damaged goods, but what about finding a fabulously pre-loved and cared for item that you will cherish as your own forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment