Sunday, June 6, 2010

Wait...what? Let me get off the PIty Train so I can hear you clearly.



I was recently alerted to the fact that a dear friend of mine wanted to ask me out on a date when we first met...but he didn't. Whaaaaaatttt? Let's catch that ball coming waaaay out of left field! (What? Did I just make a sports reference? Yes. Yes, I did.) I had no idea he even realized I was a girl, let alone wanted to ask me out on a date. This sent me into a flurry of thoughts. I had no idea he was even remotely interested in what the Madde had to offer him. How would I have known? What would I have said if he had asked me? Would we still be friends now? Truly bizarre and rando, but flattering.

Sometimes I like to take a choo-choo ride on the Pity Train and proclaim to the world that no one ever likes me..ever, but this recent revelation changed that game for me. What if lots of charming fellows have been smitten with me in the past, but I'm just too dense to even realize it? When traveling on that Pity Train, you think you are the only person in the world who has ever had a crush on another human being...guess what! YOU'RE NOT! (Is your mind blown? I know. Mine too.)

Crushes are a two-way street. You can be as smitten as a kitten with someone and they will never know because you have not told them in anyway, but were you aware that other person has that same ability to like you too! So how do we even make that person know that you like them? Do you hope for Jesus to appear to them in a dream and say "Yo..that chick really likes you. Jesus out!" (Jesus then flies away...weee!) Or perhaps you're hoping for telepathic mind abilities to take over your heads during your ambiguous drink dates. Nope. Not gonna work. My extensive scientific research proves there is only one solution...You open up your mouth and tell that person that you like them. Easy as that.

Had this dear friend of mine told me he liked me and asked me out on a date, I surely would have gone and tested the waters, but clearly there was a fear factor inside of him. My personal road block comes when we get to "Fear of the Unknown" Street. What if I open up my mouth, tell you I like you, and you say you're not interested? Well, that's just the name of the game, I guess. Surely you won't berate me for the stupidity of my affections. I'm pretty sure they won't get up and leave right then and there. They won't even slap you across the face with that piece of fish they are having for dinner. They will be a nice person and be kind in their honesty, I hope (for all of us). There is good news, though!! Guess what! Maybe you're hanging out with someone who isn't a Negative Nancy and wants to tell you that they like you too, but just didn't know how or when! Whaaaaaat? Is that even possible? Yes, it is.

So, if you are a woose like me..open up your mouth hole and tell that person that you're smitten with how you feel. They may not have any idea, or maybe they feel just the same way. :) If not, kick 'em to the curb and continue being your fabulous effing self.

No comments:

Post a Comment